Group A: Thursday 9:00-10:30~English
Group B: Thursday 12:45pm-2:15pm~English
Group C: Wednesday 10:30am-12:00pm ~English
In this course, students will learn to read critically, analyze texts, and cite evidence to support ideas as they read essential parts of literary and informational texts. Students will engage in routine, responsive writing based on texts they have read. In extensive, process-based writing lessons, students will write topical essays in a narrative, informative, analytical, and argumentative formats. Students develop a mastery of reading, writing, and language arts skills in this two-semester middle school course.
Throughout this course, students will meet the following goals:
- Read complex texts at grade level.
- Understand and analyze the structure and elements of literature from various genres.
- Increase academic and domain-specific vocabulary.
- Use text evidence to analyze, infer, and synthesize ideas.
- Engage in routine writing in response to texts read and analyzed.
- Use the writing process to complete a variety of essay writing assignments.
- Use research skills to access, interpret, and apply information from several sources.
- Gain the tools for speaking and listening in discussions and presentations.
- Learn a variety of real-world and digital communication skills.
In addition to the Edgenuity curriculum, students will be reading novels and writing essays. In the next week, I will post a tentative schedule of activities we will complete throughout the first semester.